It never fails...
As soon as Fall comes and the crisp chill is in the air, my cravings turn to warm comforting soups. Hearty soups like chowders, are some of my favorite to make and eat. One of the chowders that I have been dreaming thinking about lately is a really yummy corn chowder! I have tried many corn chowders over the years, some that I have liked more than others, but none that I really have said..."oh, wow...this is amazing!" That is just how I think and feel about food...if it doesn't "wow" me why eat it?!
So, I have been on the quest for a really great recipe for an "amazing" corn chowder. I have been pinning a lot of soups, chowders and stews on Pinterest finding great inspiration. Do you love to read recipes as much as I do? I find reading the ingredients in a recipe and imagining what I think it would taste like tells me within minutes if it will be a keeper or not.
I found several corn chowders that sounded good but I still felt that they might be missing something...so, I decided to just create my own! This chowder is cheesy, creamy, chunky (all the c's that should be in a corn chowder) and very flavorful...meeting all my exceptions of what an "amazing" corn chowder should be! I made sure it has a little kick with a little hot sauce and pepper jack cheese, but it's not spicy at all.
I realized it just wouldn't be fair if I didn't share with you all...so, here it is...
Cheesy Corn & Potato Chowder
recipe by Victoria Hayden
This serves 12 (can be cut in half)
Prep time approx. 15 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
- 4 medium russet potatoes peeled and diced into small cubes
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced
- Green onions diced
- 1 bag of frozen sweet corn or 3 cups of fresh corn
- 2 cans creamed corn or if using fresh corn you can make your own cream corn approx. 4 cups (adds great texture)
- 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of half n half
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 cup of pepper jack cheese shredded and extra cheese to garnish
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese shredded and extra cheese to garnish
- 2 cups of diced ham or 2 cups of crumbled cooked bacon
- 4-6 dashes of hot sauce (like Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce...optional)
- dash of grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the cubed potatoes, carrots and whole corn in a large stock pot. Pour chicken broth over the vegetables and bring to a boil. Once at a boil turn to simmer until vegetables are fork tender or about 15-20 minutes.
- In a saute pan melt the butter and add onions. Cook onions until translucent. Sprinkle flour over butter and onions to make a rue. Whisk into butter. Cook the flour for at least a minute until lightly browned. Add half n half slowly whisking in until thick. Let simmer for a few minutes until bubbly and thick.
- Add rue to the vegetables and broth slowly whisking in. Turn heat up to medium.
- Next add creamed corn, ham or bacon, hot sauce, nutmeg, garlic powder.
- Simmer until thick.
- Turn heat to simmer and add shredded cheese a little at a time and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve. Top with shredded cheese and green onion
- Enjoy! Great with sourdough or french bread.
I hope you enjoy and love this corn chowder as much as I do! Leftovers are even better the next day. This makes a big batch, but you can cut this in half for smaller servings. I have a family of 7 to feed!
Have a great weekend friends!